- Opportunities to give and receive CARE will continue as an ongoing function. Members will be cared for and assisted physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Opportunities for WORSHIP in larger and smaller settings will be held as a priority. Members will be encouraged to hold individual and corporate worship as a foundation of their Christian lives.
- Opportunities for WITNESS and EVANGELISM are all around us. The church will share the gospel message with those who are not Christians, including young people growing up among us, leading those persons into faith in Christ and into responsible church membership. The church will encourage an awareness of global, physical, and spiritual needs, and urge congregational members to respond to these needs through their ministries of praying, giving, and serving.
- Opportunities for STEWARDSHIP of all of life will continually be urged. This includes members’ time, spiritual gifts, and financial resources. The church will emphasize the channeling of these God-given gifts through the congregation.
- Opportunities for EDUCATION and spiritual growth will continually be offered with the Bible as text book. Children, youth, and adults will grow toward maturity in the Christian faith.
- Opportunities for FELLOWSHIP will be a strong keystone in building a solid community of believers. Strong inter-personal relationships will be built through planned and informal times of fellowship.
One worship service – We provide a “blended” worship service at 10:30 AM on Sunday mornings that is a mix of worship bands, organ music, hymn singing, liturgy and open mike congregational sharing and prayer. We strive to be a worshiping place where tradition and innovation meet by showing hospitality to one another and the diverse worshipping styles present in our congregation.
Childcare – Childcare is provided during the service for infants in the nursery as well as Children’s Church for children through grade 5 that meets during the worship service.
CDs – Audio CDs of each service are provided upon request. Please contact the church office for details.
One Sunday school block – We provide a wide range of Sunday school classes for all ages on Sunday mornings from 9:30-10:30 AM. More information is available in a brochure found at the Welcome Center or on our church website.
DURING THE WEEK
Wednesday Night Out – We provide a mid week meal on Wednesday at 5:30 PM. After the meal there are numerous activities, studies, youth groups and choir practices. There is something for every age. More information is available in a brochure found at the Welcome Center or on the church website.
Church Staff – We provide trained and qualified staff who are responsible for various Harrisonburg First Church of the Brethren.
Pastoral Counseling – We provide free individual, family, premarital, and marital counseling from trained staff to all who belong to Harrisonburg First Church of the Brethren.
Professional Counseling – At times, it is better to refer persons to professional counselors. Pastoral/Congregational Care – We strive to provide excellent Pastoral care to all who belong to our Church. This includes an extensive congregational care ministry formed by Deacons.
Deacon Ministry – At Harrisonburg First Church, we believe that God has called both men and women to exercise their gifts in every way for the health and growth of the church and its ministries in the world. We embrace the team model found in the New Testament and believe that the vision and ministry of the congregation is carried out by its members exercising their Spiritual gifts that God has given them: “The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.” Persons called to serve as Deacons will work closely with the Pastor as well as with the Church Board.
Summer Events at FCOB
Kids Summer Camp
(Each Sunday 9:30-11:30)
Kids will take part in different activities as part of Sunday Morning kids worship. For more details contact Heidi Bunn.
Junior High Youth Meetings
(Every other Wednesday)
June Meetings will be held on June 10 & June 24. For more information contact Derek Young.
Senior High Youth Meetings
(Every Sunday 6:00-9:15pm)
Rising 9th grade-Recent Graudates are invited to different activities each night. Contact Derek Young for more information
FCOB Weekend of Service
Watch for details as the FCOB Family gets involved in the community!